Answered By: Aprille Nace Last Updated: Sep 16, 2016 Views: 9
When the factory closed, their records were deposited in the Smithsonian Institution. There is a record in the Smithsonian's "Archives, Manuscripts, & Photographs Collections" catalog: http://www.sil.si.edu/research/
Title: Imperial Glass Company Records, 1909-1940.
In 1922 the company imported a shop of Venetian glassmakers to what the company labeled Imperial "Art Glass."
The company in 1940 started an acquisitions program and bought a series of other companies including the Central Glass Works of Wheeling, Virginia, (est. 1860). In 1958 Imperial Glass purchased molds from the Heisey Co. (est.1885) and bought the Cambridge Glass Co. (est. 1873). The firm became a subsidiary of Lenox China Inc. in 1973.
In June 1984 Imperial Glass went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The plant closed August 31, 1984, and the company's assets were taken over by Lancaster Colony Corporation, Columbus, Ohio.