Last Updated: Aug 11, 2016     Views: 411

Thank you for contacting us with your question. 

According to Dictionary of Glass Materials and Techniques, by Charles Bray, overlay is "A layer of glass gathered over a layer of a different coloured glass." Cased glass "usually refers to blown glass which has two or more layers, one of which is either coloured and /or opaque... the layers of colour are usually etched, engraved or cut through to reveal the clear glass underneath. Latterly, sandblasting has become a popular method for removing some of the colour...casing is the basis of cameo glass and a considerable amount of decorative cut glass produced over the years." Therefore you can see overlay is a layer of glass, which is a part of cased glass. 

Please let me know if you require additional information. 


Ask a Glass Question

Ask a Glass Question
Provide Your Contact Information
Fields marked with * are required.

Related Topics