Last Updated: Jul 03, 2018 Views: 651
There is an article _by_ Maas in the Autumn 1965 Stained Glass magazine on glass in Puerto Rico. [English] You may also want to look at an essay in the book, Glas in lood in Nederland, 1817-1968, p285 by A. Kruip. [Dutch]
That essay cites another essay: 'Rondom een "heerlijk ceremonieel" in: F. Kuyvenhoven en B. Treffers, Nader beschouwd, een serie kunsthistorische opstellen aangeboden aan Pieter Singelenberg, Mijmegen 1986, pp. 187-207. [Dutch]
You've probably seen the Stained Glass Association website which mentions Maas, but just in case you haven't: http://www.stainedglass.org/html/SGAAhistorySG.htm (use Find command to look for Maas' name.)
It appears there is an entry for him in the following publication: Beeldend Nederland : biografisch handboek / P.M.J. Jacobs. - Tilburg : Jacobs, 1993. - 2 dl. ISBN 90-801063-1-3 [I'm guessing this is in Dutch as well!]
"New Work in Stained Glass: A symposium" Stained Glass vol. 49 (Spring 1954) 17-26. This has an image of a work by Maas that appeared in an exhibit at the Cincinnati Art Museum. (I can send you a copy of this article)
Book Review of Jovita's book: Stained Glass Summer 1987 p145-148. (has several images of Maas works) ---can send you a copy of this one as well
Nov. 1952 article by Maas in Liturgical Arts on the Sanctuary of Blessed Martin do Porres at Bayview Puerto Rico (can send you a copy)
Feb. 1948 article about Maas in Liturgical Arts "Story of a priest craftsman" pp 53-4. (we don't own this volume, so you'll have to find this through your local library.)
I did find that the exhibition New Work in Stained Glass appeared at CMOG in 1954, although the Museum did not organize it.
- Arnaldo was my brothers God father in Puerto Rico , also was a good friend of the family . We have several of his paintings including one called Los musician .
- I would love to see pictures of his paintings! Would you share them? Thanks, Teresa
- Hi Peter
Can you send me photos of the paintings you have? Do you have paintings on glass or stainglass done by Maas? Please let me know.
- Here are some pictures of the paintings we have. Arnold and Jovita Maas were friends of my in laws.
- Where can I have some copies of the magazines and pictures from Maas artwork.
- My mother has a painting of The Last Supper by Maas commissioned by my father. I believe Peter Luypen was my childhood friend in Puerto Rico so our families were part of the same circle somehow in the sixties.
- Hi David Wise. I'm Peter Luypen and I would love to talk to you about growing up in Puerto Rico. My email is email@example.com.
- Hello, I can send you a pdf of the book.
- I also would love to have a copy of the book - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hi!. I'm Francisco. I'm living in Veracruz, Mexico. I'm a nephew of Arnaldo's wife, Jovita who was a sister of my mother.
I have an oleo over wood painted for Arnaldo in 1976 whit his sign. If you want send me your e mail, i'd like send you some photos.
My e mail is email@example.com
- I have an opaline of the apocalypse scenes euth a Crucified Christ in the middel. Uts signed by him as Arnold Maas 1966, framed on wood 8 1/2 x 12 1/2”. The frame makes it 15 x 11”.
- I am still hoping to hear from Peter Luypen about our time in Puerto Rico and to learn more about Arnoldo Maas.
- Perhaps we can trade photos and assemble an informal catalog.
Would any of you be interested in proceeding with that?
The Corning Museum of Glass is currently closed to the public effective March 16 through April 22, 2020, as a precautionary measure for public health and safety. As a result, resources available to answer your questions are extremely limited. During this closure, you may be interested in searching our Ask a Glass Question FAQs or reviewing our Research Guides on various topics. We also highly recommend checking out The Corning Museum of Glass on YouTube for hours of artist demonstrations, lectures, and special events. Thank you for your patience.