Last Updated: Aug 04, 2017 Views: 66
Ring, probably Vatican Mosaic Workshop, Italy, 1825-1875. 97.3.51
The books attached in the bilbiography cover the history of the technique with lots of illustrations -- and few clues about how to make them.
There are also many web resources for studying micromosiacs, for example:
- Laura Hiserote creates amazing micromosaics.
- Cole Sonafrank's website has an extensive discussion of different types of "Mosaic Mortar Formula and Instructions" - primarily for larger work, but he also has an assortment of resources such as a page with to stained glass & mosaic forums and resources as well as information about mosaic mortar.
- Society of American Mosaic Artists Includes lists of workshops & classes, mosaic suppliers, mosaic links, etc.
- British Association for Modern Mosaic: Includes a members gallery, suppliers.
- Mosaic Matters. “The online magazine for all things mosaic. Includes a glossary of mosaic terms, a notice board for questions about mosaics, and pages of hints and tips.
The Corning Museum of Glass is currently closed to the public effective March 16 through April 22, 2020, as a precautionary measure for public health and safety. As a result, resources available to answer your questions are extremely limited. During this closure, you may be interested in searching our Ask a Glass Question FAQs or reviewing our Research Guides on various topics. We also highly recommend checking out The Corning Museum of Glass on YouTube for hours of artist demonstrations, lectures, and special events. Thank you for your patience.