Last Updated: Sep 11, 2016     Views: 248

Bond is an alternate term for "adhesive" (or glue). For laminate I think of layers. As you know, most artists avoid the words "adhesive" or "glue" so there are a variety of alternate terms in use. 

Wikipedia's popular definition is: "A laminate is a material constructed by uniting two or more layers of material together. The process of creating a laminate is lamination, which usually refers to sandwiching something between layers of plastic and sealing them with heat and/or pressure." 

Jon Kuhn and William Carlson use adhesives to "bond" their glass. But I also found references to "lamination" for both of them. 

Marx Saunders Gallery quotes an article by James Yood about Carlson:

I wrote to Tina Oldknow, who replied: 

"I agree with you Beth. For a while people were using the term laminated (and still do) because layers of glass are bonded together. But, technically, laminate is a specific type of multi-layered glass. I pretty much use bonded and laminated interchangeably, but I think I am going to make distinction in the Heineman book. In her case, she should just use the term bonded, esp. if that is what the artists use."



Related Topics

Contact Us

Ask a Glass Question
Provide Your Contact Information
Fields marked with * are required.