Last Updated: May 31, 2018 Views: 397
Hello! Thank you for your question. The Rakow Research Library has trade catalogs from Wheaton/Nuline, which made milk bottle reproductions in the late 1960s and early 1970s that match your description. The bottles were available in blue, green, topaz, orange and "flint." They came in 3 sizes: 1/2 pint, pint, and quart. The bottles were made in Italy, had porcelain sealing caps, and were embossed as you describe.
The Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center Frequently Asked Questions - Museum of American Glass web page includes a discussion of "Wheaton bottles" that contains additional information.
Here is a list of materials in our collection on Wheaton/Nuline (Wheaton Products after 1973):
- Americana Collection [trade catalog]. Millville, NJ: Wheaton/Nuline Firm, 1970.
- Grandma Wheaton’s Receipts [sic] [trade catalog]. Millville, NJ: Wheaton/Nuline Firm, 1970.
- Wheaton Creations [trade catalog]. Millville, NJ: Wheaton/Nuline, 1972.
- Grandma Wheaton’s: Receipts [trade catalog]. Millville, NJ: Wheaton Products, 1973.
- Wheaton Glass [trade catalog]. Millville, N.J.: Wheaton Products, 1973.
- Grandma Wheaton 1974 [trade catalog]. Millville, N.J.: Wheaton Products, 1974.
- Wheaton Glass: 1974 [trade catalog]. Millville, N.J.: Wheaton Products, 1974.
Below are other items that might be of interest (links here and above are to Rakow Library catalog records unless otherwise noted):
- Giarde, Jeffrey Lyle. Glass Milk Bottles: Their Makers and Marks. 1st ed. Bryn Mawr, Calif.: Time Travelers Press, 1980.
- McKearin, Helen, and Kenneth M. Wilson. American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry. New York: Crown Publishers, 1978.
- “New Raised Lettering on Glass Bottles.” Antique & Collectors Reproduction News 4, no. 9 (Sept. 1995): pp. 106-108.
- Nightingale, Mark. “Genuine or Reproduction Early Glass?” Antique Bottle Collector UK, issue 51 (Winter 2012): 11-13, ill.
- Taylor, Gay LeCleire. The Fires Burn On: 200 Years of Glassmaking in Millville, New Jersey. Millville, NJ: Wheaton Village, 2006.
- Taylor, Gordon A. Milk Bottle Manual; A Collector’s Pictorial Primer & Pricing Guide. Salem, Ore.: Old Time Bottle Pub. Co., 1971.
- Tutton, John. Udderly Delightful: A Guide to Collecting Milkbottles [sic] and Related Items: History and Price Information. 3rd ed. Front Royal, Va.: J. Tutton, 1998.
The Library lends designated books and sends articles via Interlibrary Loan. If you would like to borrow materials, contact your local library to make your request.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with glass-related questions in the future!