Last Updated: Oct 06, 2016     Views: 13

It's an interesting question---and one I'm not sure of an answer for.  I do know from looking in our own collection that "glass cutter" in the 18th century definitely was a term used for workers who cut crown glass to make windows.  I also know that cut glass tableware was coming into popularity in the 18th century, particularly the end of the century.  I have seen references to master cutters, master engravers from that time period who would have done the more skilled "cutting" of tableware, so your relative might have done either kind of cutting, I would think, and they are very different jobs. 

It might be something the staff at the National Glass Centre in England would be able to answer, based on wages for each or you may want to post your question on the glass messages board  It is a pretty active group with some expertise in British glass history. I would guess that craftsmen who cut patterns on glass would be paid more, as it was a highly skilled occupation and the glass they worked on was expensive to make.   It would certainly be worth an e-mail to them!