Last Updated: Sep 23, 2020 Views: 16
Hello! Thank you for your question! The Rakow Research Library has materials in its collection that might be useful to you as you design and create your own flameshop. Below are a few books and articles, though you may be able to find more by searching our catalog.
- Bernard, Eddie. “Gas-Fired Equipment Safety System Check and Maintenance.” GAS News 17, no. 2 (March 2006): 3.
- Bernard, Eddie. “Technical Issues: Ventilation.” GAS News 20, issue 1 (Jan./Feb. 2009): 5.
- Birkhill, Frederick, and Shane Fero. The Art of Flameworking. S.l: the authors, 2011.
- Dunham, Bandhu Scott. Contemporary Lampworking: A Practical Guide to Shaping Glass in the Flame. 3rd ed. Prescott, Ariz: Salusa Glassworks, 2010.
- Grimmett, Henry. “Understanding Lampworker Safety.” Glass Line 20, no. 1 (June/July 2006): 36+.
- Henley, Vince. “Studio Safety: LP Gas in Apartments.” The Glass Bead 18, issue 3 (Summer 2011): 36.
- Henley, Vince. “Studio Safety: Propane (LP Gas) Storage.” The Glass Bead 18, issue 1 (Winter 2011): 23.
- Henley, Vince. “Studio Safety: Safety Advocacy.” The Glass Bead 19, issue 1 (Winter 2012): 19.
- Kervin, James. More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking. 5th prtg., completely rev. Livermore, CA: GlassWear Studios, 2003.
- Koopman, Gary. “Burner Plumbing Solutions.” Fusion 57, no. 2 (May 2010): 21-25.
- McCann, Michael, and Angela Babin. Health Hazards Manual for Artists. 6th ed. Guilford, Conn.: Lyons Press, 2008.
- Page, Andrew. “Can Glass Go Green?” Glass, no. 108 (Autumn 2007): 52-63.
Fusion 55 [i.e. 56], no. 2 (May 2009): 23-25.
- Simmons, Robert. “Studio Safety: Why Is Studio Ventilation Important?” The Glass Bead 19, issue 4 (Autumn 2012): 20.
- Tarlow, Paul. Coldworking Glass Without Machines: A Complete Guide to Creating Better Fused, Lampworked & Blown Glass Artwork Without Spending a Small Fortune on Big Equipment. 1st ed. Austin, Tex: IZM Studio, 2011.
- Wolfersberger, Stan. “Glass Beadmaking Safety Issues.” The Bead Release 9, no. 1 (Winter 2002): 16-25.
- Wolfersberger, Stan. “Ventilation for Beadmaking: How Much Do You Need?” The Bead Release 8, no. 2 (Spring 2001): 14-15.
Note: This list includes a sample of columns by Vince Henley on studio safety that ran in The Glass Bead between 2007 and 2012.
Borrowing Library Materials
If you wish to borrow copies of library items, please contact your local library. The Rakow Research Library will lend designated books from its collection and will send copies of articles requested by other libraries. Your library can request items through the OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system or by direct request through email at email@example.com. For more information, please see our ILL policies and procedures.
Please let us know if there is anything specific that we could assist you in finding. You can always schedule a 30-minute research consultation with one of our reference librarians or Ask a Glass Question.
Check out classes offered at The Studio at The Corning Museum of Glass as well!